Become a Subscriber to GHS Band News

Welcome and thank you for visiting your GHS Band News Blog. Tag this website as a favorite and check it out every week. Mr. Pirzer sends scads of updates, and this is where the Band Booster secretary will post those updates.

It's easy to track information on this blog. See the Information heading in the upper right column? Just click on the heading you're interested in to go directly to the most recent postings under this heading.

For questions or concerns, contact Amy Wagner at GHSBandNews@gmail.com.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

What it Takes to be our Volunteer Coordinator

Ever wonder about that crazy. laid-back VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR? Well, Bruce Jennings is not only the volunteer coordinator, but he's also the Vice President of the GHS Booster. So we will have two vacancies with his leaving us. Here's what he has to say about the job:

HOW I GOT STARTED AS THE VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR: When my daughter, Sarah Jennings – a four-year, senior percussionist, started at GHS, I was willing to provide some support as I had at Westwood Middle School. When I asked then-coordinator Richard Shutterly how I could help, he suggested, “Come hang out with us on Saturday.” Richard, Mark Stevens, Walter Anderson, and many other parents and students were wonderful instructors. I learned something about instruments (“Never touch the rim of the tympanis! Don’t lift that marimba by the horizontal bar!”), trailers, timing, coordinating, motivating, and relaxing in the most unexpected circumstances. I had a lot of fun “hanging out” with other parents and helping the band prepare for performances. Getting the equipment onto the field and racing to find a place to sit and watch can be quite an adrenaline rush. My participation gradually increased until, at the end of Sarah’s second season, Richard volunteered me to be the volunteer coordinator because “you’re always here anyway.”

WHAT I DO AS THE VICE PRESIDENT: I don’t think I’ve done anything as Vice President; it’s a great job that pays nothing. Our previous Vice Presidents had been more active in running booster meetings and helping to coordinate fundraising. I do stay busy as Volunteer Coordinator.

WHEN THE JOB BEGINS: The job begins before Band Camp I: The new Coordinator will start with recruiting volunteers for Band Camp I. We need a group of adults to set up tents, drinks, and snacks; to encourage students to use those supplies; to chaperone; and to provide some “medical support” (“Drink! Use some sun screen! Come sit over here in the shade for a few minutes! Put some ice on that! Has anyone seen Dr. Berry?”).

The job continues at the end of Camp I and in the last few weeks of summer as you recruit volunteers to staff Band Camp II. Camps are a good time to start building the Pit Crew. The Pit Crew helps with chaperoning, loading and unloading the trailer, and moving instruments to football and competition performances. You've seen the pit crew at every competition -- pushing the equipment to the field. Dashing out to load up after the performance. The Pit will have a number of well-experienced parents returning to the crew. I know they will help the new coordinator build and organize the new team.

SUCCESSES: My primary goal for this job has been to encourage more parents to be involved, and the number of volunteers for Pit Crew and other activities has increased each year. I wanted to build a Pit Crew each year with the same adults working all events so that crew members would know students, especially those in the pit, and instruments. I wanted the Pit Crew to know how to arrange instruments in order to help students prepare for performance as quickly as possible. I also wanted band members to know this team of parents and to feel comfortable asking for help.

CHALLENGES: Communication - getting the message out to everybody! Last year, I devoted some time to building an email list of all parents, Pit Crew and truck drivers (to pull the trailers) so that I could send requests and reminders before each event. Rebecca built the blog this year, and that has made the task much easier.

OTHER THINGS I DO: Organizing the Pit Crew and Gatornationals volunteers have been my two biggest jobs. I have been responsible for communicating with staff at Gainesville Raceway to secure and retain 40 volunteer slots for each of the two days we do fundraising at the Gatornationals. I have worked with Mr. Pirzer to recruit those volunteers and to be sure they are aware of rules and procedures. I have attended the team leader meetings the Saturday prior to the races, and I have worked at the races each day.

Occasionally I also help to recruit volunteers for fundraising events such as a pancake breakfast (anyone who wants to help on 4/17 can send me an email).

When I’m not working for the band, I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor at Sarkis Family Psychiatry.

No comments:

Post a Comment